Friday, October 25, 2013

Weight Loss Journey

I am a stay at home wife and mother of 4.

Erica 10
Andre 7
Joyann 5
Erin 5 months

I had RNY on June 4, 2012 at the University Of Maryland Medical Center. My Surgeon was Dr. LoMenzo. He is an excellent person and well as the whole staff at that hospital. I was in there for 3 days (surgery date, next day and part of the next. I went home on all the normal meds and pain meds. I had no complications.

When I returned for my follow up I was down to 227 pounds (268 pound to begin with) He was very pleased. My blood work and everything was normal.

I then moved to Pennsylvania and did not have medical coverage so I have not been back to see anyone.

I then got pregnant in August of 2012 and gave birth in May of 2013. I continued to lose weight during this entire time. Which my Ob office did not like but I could not help it. I was unable to take the glucose test that the administer because I was afraid of dumping. My daughter was later born with no complications. She weighed 5 pounds and 14 ounces. The smallest child I ever had.

By the time I gave birth I was down to 170ish pounds. I was extremely happy. I managed to get back to walking within a few weeks. I began having problems in my belly I went to the ER twice and they dismissed it as an infection. My Ob said it was postpartum depression. It then just went away with pain meds and antibiotics.

Fast forward to August the children were about to go back to school and I had a mini melt down in a MC Donald's. I was in so much pain it was unbearable. Accompanied with vomiting and light headedness? I thought it was because I had ate a burger with onions (no bun). I dismissed it and went to my husbands job to wait for him to get off. It was unbearable and I continued to vomit. When he got off I was driving and had to pull over because I was balled up in pain (on the side of the road.)

I WENT TO THE E.R. While I was there the went through all the test and it ended up being gallstones. I had to stay in the hospital and have surgery to have it removed along with the my gallbladder. The problem was they couldn't just stick a tube in and pull them out because of the RNY. I had to be moved to another hospital who could accommodate me.

While there I was put through the wire. I had and exploratory ERCP which was unsuccessful, I was pissed. So the next day I had to get and lap and if they could not get it that way then it would have to be open. Welp they had to open me up. I was in pain pain pain. I came out of surgery with 13 staples and a jp drain as well as a bile bag. I was in the hospital for a total of 8 days. I came home and was in so much pain i couldn't believe it. I called the surgeon and told them about my pain. They did nothing and said I should not be in pain. Well I knew that much.

I was happy to be home to say the least because I missed my kids like crazy (my mother came and got them and took them back to Maryland)

I was home and vomiting and not eating the whole time. I went to the Surgeons for my 2 week check up and my weight was down to 139 pounds and I looked like it. They ended up keeping me (pissed to say the least) I was only there for one night but it felt like forever.

Fast Forward to Now I am doing well. I am off all meds and my weight is steady between 148 and 152 pounds.